If you have not read Dumplin’ by the fabulous Julie Murphy yet, go find it because it is a completely uplifting book. Aside from the fact that I was laughing and crying throughout the book, and that if the movie producers a) don’t make it to the screen and b) don’t have a cameo of Dolly Parton in it they’re nuts, I don’t think there is anything I can say that hasn’t been said.
It’s been taking over the YA blogsphere since ARCs had been available, and earned a starred review from Publishers Weekly and Booklist, and landed rave reviews from Kirkus, VOYA and other review publications. AND it debuted at number 1 on the New York Times Best Seller List for Young Adult Hardcovers.
So instead, in honor of Willowdean and her aunt, I made a Dumplin’ Playlist for us fat girls everywhere.
- Meghan Trainor: Close Your Eyes
- Queen: Fat Bottomed Girls
- Johnny Otis: Country Girl
- Big Mama Thorton: They Call Me Big Mama
- Dolly Parton: Eagle When She Flies
- Christina Aguilera: Beautiful
- Beyonce: Flawless
- Destiny’s Child: Bootylicious
- India Arie: Video
- TLC: Unpretty
- Janelle Monae featuring Erykah Badu: Q.U.E.E.N.
- P!nk: F**kin’ Perfect